I chose this Google Earth image for a few different reasons, but mainly because it gives a good perspective on how close Antarctica is spatially to South America, especially in relation to the rest of the earth.  There are only 500 miles separating Cape Horn and the very tips of Antarctica.  Most people might think that's quite a ways away, but when you put that distance into perspective with the earth as a whole, the two continents are very close together.  From this image one can also see how long South America is in relation to the curvature of the earth.  On another note, I was looking at how the southern tail of South America and the Antarctic Peninsula both curve towards the Atlantic Ocean.  If I did more research on it I'm sure I would have a solid understanding for why the two land areas are shaped as such; what I'm guessing is that the water currents going from the Pacific Ocean into the Atlantic Ocean through the Drake passage over time have helped shaped those land areas.  For the most part I just think it's cool to look at South America from this angle while having Antarctica right beside it.  We often look at the world from limited perspectives, fortunately  Google Earth is an amazing tool that allows us to have infinite different views of the Earth.





 This is an image of the area surrounding Angel Falls, the highest waterfall in the world!  The region where the falls are located is known as the Guiana Highlands in Venezuela.  This is an area of high mesas filled with thick jungle foliage.  Angel falls is well isolated from humans and uneasy to get to, which is mainly why it's existence has only been known since the early 20th century.  This Google Earth image shows the flat tops of the mesas in the surrounding region and the treacherous jungles in the valleys below.  What I thought was really interesting about this image was that not only can you pinpoint Angel Falls and see its surrounding area, but for being a really difficult area to navigate it amazes me how many different camera angles people have captured on this one area.  In well-populated and easily accessible areas I would expect numerous pictures of anything with importance, but not with an area like this that is difficult to get to, even if it is the world's highest waterfall!  I found it very fascinating to go through the plethora of pictures on Google Earth to get a feel for the different viewpoints of Angel Falls.  In my first image I was kind of looking at South America as a whole, but in this image I wanted to take a look at one specific place.  To me, the Guiana Highlands doesn't seem like an area that would be home to such an enormous landmark, but in fact it is.  Every place on earth is unique and this image helped emphasize that for me.  It's amazing to see such natural wonders which God has created!




Posted by Stephen Kuske Monday, February 8, 2010

0 comments

Post a Comment